Friday, July 31, 2009

Maverick Stars

I've been working with Bonnie Hunter's Maverick Stars pattern on a baby quilt. I finished this little gem at craft night last night. I'm quite happy with it. I think the only thing I'd change is that next time I'd make it larger.
I added white sashing between the blocks to space out the stars a bit. I looked for multi-colored fabric in my stash of novelty fabrics for a border but just didn't like any one enough, or didn't have enough of any one. So I decided to piece a border with leftover 2.5 inch squares.
For the backing, I used up a piece of fabric I have never liked but I thought went well with this quilt. It has little kids' faces on it.
My next decision was how to bind the quilt. I didn't want white, or black, or any solid color. I wanted multi colored to blend with the scrappy border. So I found a chunk of pretty obnoxious teddy bear fabric that had the right colors and made binding from that. I think it turned out nicely!
And this came 100% out of my existing stash! I love it when I can finish a project without buying anything new.

No comments:

Post a Comment